Here I would show you how to console into switch/router on your apple laptop. Unlike windows you don’t need any additional software like Putty.
1. Click Go > Utilites from the top menu.
2. Find Terminal and drag it to your dock.
3. Click Terminal from Dock and wait till it launches.
4. Typle in the below command and then hit TAB key
# screen /dev/cu.usb
4. When you hit TAB key twice it should reveal the rest of the available choice like usbserial… or usbmodem… (for micro usb cable)
If it doesn’t reveal anything after pressing tab then you will need to install drivers for the console cable or check whether the cable is properly connected to the device.